Thursday we took Mom back to the doctor. Her yeast infection was nearly cleared up but for a couple nites she moaned and grimmaced in her sleep but all she could tell us was it hurt when she had a bowel movement. She was also having problems keeping her food down but has a hiatal hernia and that medicine doesn't always work well for her. Dr decided to put her in hospital for preventive hydration plus a lower GI scope. They did the scope this morning and found cancer. The doctor that did that was a specialist Mom's G.P. called and he must have had a fight with his wife or something because he was very abrupt. We asked if he thought with her other conditions we should put her through another operation and he just shrugged. We asked if we didn't, how long would she have and his answer was 6 months or maybe 2 years. We asked if we didnt if there was suffient pain medication so she could be comfortable and his answer was any pain she had was probably from her sore bottom - he had never seen such a mess. Then added, I really don't know her history and walked away. My Sis was crushed. In 10 years this is the first time we have had such a problem and it was almost cleared up. In the 2 days she has been in hospital they have used disposable diapers, not changed her regularly and she may well be getting red again. Here we have just been given a terrible diagnosis and the doctors main comment was about her bottom. Ten years of hard work, an awful diagnosis and then a slap in the face. I'm still shaking and trying to process the fact that after all she has gone through to this point - what should we do? She survived uterine cancer 15 years ago, got a pacemaker in time to help her heart, takes seizure medicine, thyroid is not functioning properly but medicine seems to keep under control. When she was still mobile she fell about 5 years ago and broke right hip, then about 2 years ago broke the other one. Both required pinning operation. There is a cat scan scheduled for Monday and we haven't talked with her regular physician yet, but before this happened, we both felt that her quality of life has become so bad with the mind gone, we would never put her through any other surgery. But, that was hypothetical. Now we are actualy facing that decision or at least I am assuming it can be done. When do we say "no more" and not feel we haven't done all we should for Mom. If anyone else has had to make such a decision, we sure could use your advice. I know you can't make a decision for us. Just need a clearer head than I have right now. The only thing I keep relating to is both my Sis and I have pets and do everything possible for them, but if they were in the shape Mom is - mind gone, unable to do for themselves, laying in their own urine and feces until someone cleaned them up, we wouldn't leave them like that. It has totally broken my heart to make that decision for them, but feel that is the kindest. I don't mean that I advocate mercy killing for humans; but is God saying this is a way she can come to me sooner and not be in pain with the medicines the doctors have? I will talk with my minister in the morning, but can anyone give me their thoughts tonite. I can't even think right now.